GTP Amateur Contracts
Whether you are a Coach, Athlete, Guardian, Trainer, Agent or an Academy we thank you for taking the interest in protecting your value. By becoming a GTP Certified Member of the Association of Ethical Tennis Coaches and Players, you will be playing a role in bringing uniformity and standard ethical practices to our sport.
The following is an overview of Amateur Status Contracts and how they work. This is not to supplement or serve as formal documentation for regulations concerning the Association’s Operating Agreement and the actual Amateur Status Contract. The Operating Agreement which you will review during your application for Certification will serve as the governing authority, which you must agree to comply with, and fully understand in order to proceed. The following is merely to help you understand Amateur Status contracts and how the Association will govern their enforcement. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to GTP at any time
Amateur Status Contracts have been created for “Amateurs” under the age of eighteen (18) or above eighteen (18) if currently enrolled in NCAA athletics or for other extenuating circumstances. An Amateur Contract is executed between a Certified Guardian and either a Certified Coach, Trainer or Academy ONLY. Amateur Contracts are signed and Deferred Compensation is paid by a Certified Guardian to a Certified Coach, Certified Trainer or Certified Academy, in order to ensure NCAA eligibility compliance for a junior player. Our contracts are in compliance with NCAA manual 188.8.131.52.6. Coaches, Trainers and Academies are paid in non-intrusive payment plans from the Guardian beginning one year from the calendar quarter in which their contracts were completed. In order to execute and utilize these contracts, their accountability protections as well as privileges, you must be Certified as a Guardian and or Coach, Trainer or Academy within GTP’s Association. In order to be Certified as a Guardian, Coach, Trainer, Agent or Academy you must first:
CERTIFICATION AND APPLICATION:
1) Review, and have your counsel of choice review the Operating Agreement governing the Association of Ethical Coaches and Players.
2) Fully understand the rules and regulations governing the Associations Operating Agreement and agree to submit and comply with standards set in the Operating Agreement by the Association.
3) Fully complete an Application for either a Coach, Trainer, Academy or Guardian and submit to the Association for approval. Please be advised that you will be allowing GTP’s Association to conduct a Level 1 background check.
4) Submit an applicable Application Fee, as well as an applicable Annual Renewal Membership Fee.****
5) Upon GTP’s Association review of your Application, and Certification as either a Coach, Trainer, Academy or Guardian you may then begin to execute Amateur Status Contracts with one another.
*****Academy Application Fee and Membership Fee is structured on a case-by-case basis.
1) All Amateur Status Contracts can be converted to a Certified Guardians’, Certified Coaches’, or Certified Trainers’ native language for a fee, however the English version will prevail if any discrepancies arise.
2) Amateur Contracts are specific to each Certified Member but are universally standard. The only portions of the contract that alter is the negotiated amounts of deferred compensation between a Certified Guardian and Coach, Trainer or Academy.
3) Maximum deferred compensation amounts per hour/day/week/month must be strictly adhered to. No Coach or Trainer may negotiate more than $750 for a one-Day contract, $3,500 for a one-week contract, or $13,000 per Month.
4) Maximum contract length is three (3) months but extensions may be signed. No more than two (2) extensions per Contract will be acknowledged.
5) Maximum deferred compensation a Guardian can accrue under a Coaches Collective is $100,000 (including accrued interest).
6) An Amateur Status Contract is not protected under the Association until the respective Association approves each Contract and ensures it complies to all standards.
7) Once acknowledged, accepted and approved by the Association, the ward of a Certified Guardian and Certified Coach, Trainer or Academy may get to work.
8) No Certified Guardian may have active Amateur Status Contracts with more than three (3) Certified Coaches, Trainers or Academies at any one time. No Certified Coach, Trainer or Academy may have active Amateur Status Contracts with more than ten (10) Certified Guardians at any one time.
COACHES COLLECTIVE AND DEFERRED COMPENSATION:
1) All deferred compensation accrued by a Guardian is added to their Coaches Collective (or total amount of deferred compensation owed to Coaches for services provided). GTP’s Association will hold all deferred compensation on behalf of the Certified Coaches, Trainers and Academies to collect from the Certified Guardian, beginning one year from the conclusion of the calendar quarter from when services were provided.
2) Held deferred compensation accrues a 4% interest rate per year until paid in full.
3) At the commencement of the payment plan, GTP’s Association will notify the Certified Guardian ten (10) days prior to the close of the quarter of his or her required outstanding deferred compensation payment including interest. These payments are amortized over the five (5) year payment plan.
4) A Certified Guardian is required to begin a payment plan commencing one year from the calendar quarter from when their contract completed. For example, a one week contract that concluded April 9th, 2019 will have a Commencement date beginning on July 1st 2020. Four Quarters in a year: Q1: Jan 1-Mar 31; Q2: April 1-June 30; Q3 July 1-September 30; Q4: October 1-December 31.
1) This means, for Repayment Category A, a Certified Guardian who has accrued $40,000 deferred compensation in the months of January, February and March of 2020, will commence a payment plan on April 1st, 2021 of 3.5% per quarter of $40,000 or $1,400 per quarter ($467.00 per month) or $5,600 per year to be paid directly to the Association.(This example does not include interest payments) If the Certified Guardian remains in Good Standing and makes all payments for five (5) years in a timely manner, a balloon payment at the conclusion of 5 years will be required, or at the Association’s discretion, may extend the payment plan.
A Collective may be paid down at any time with no prepayment penalties.
EXCLUSIVITY, DEFAULT, BREACHES AND TERMINATION:
1) No Amateur Status Contract has any form of exclusivity. Since a Coach, Trainer and Academy is guaranteed compensation for his or her services at fair market value, exclusivity is no longer required.
2) A Guardian may terminate a Contract without fear of tarnishing their reputation at any time with a Coach, Trainer or Academy or in case a Coach, Trainer or Academy is not living up to expectations.
3) In the event a Coach, Trainer, Guardian or Academy does not live up to agreed upon terms because of either a breach of contract or default, Global Tennis Professionals will serve as a mediator to determine what if any Collective should be accounted for.