GTP Engagement+ Contracts
Whether you are a Coach, Athlete, Guardian, Trainer, Academy, Agent or Minor Athlete we thank you for taking the interest in protecting your value. By becoming a GTP Certified Member of the Association, you will be playing a role in bringing uniformity and standard ethical practices to our tennis community.
The information contained on this page is not to supplement or serve as formal documentation for regulations concerning the Association of Ethical Tennis Coaches and Players Operating Agreement and actual Engagement+ Contracts. The Operating Agreement which you will review during your application for Certification will serve as the governing authority, which you must agree to comply with and fully understand in order to proceed. The following is an overview of Engagement+ Contracts and how the Association will govern their enforcement. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to GTP at any time.
Engagement + Contracts have been created
- For ATP/WTA Players CURRENTLY or WITHIN the last two years ranked inside the top 650 for singles;
- Ranked inside the top 200 for doubles within the last two (2) years
- For a Certified Athlete and Coach, Trainer or Academy who together have successfully applied and been given permission to execute Engagement+ Contracts via the Engagement+ Application.
No more negotiating bonuses and or exclusivity. Providers may now put “their money where their mouth is,” and negotiate with an Athlete for fair market value. A Provider will be compensated for services they have provided only based on 15% of tournament winnings (prior to taxes and withholdings) of the Athlete regardless if you have discontinued your relationship.
Athletes, only compensate your Coach for the services they have provided. No Coach, Trainer or Academy is entitled to more compensation than negotiated amounts. In order to execute and utilize Engagement+ Contracts, you must be Certified as a Member within GTPs Association. In order to be Certified you must:
CERTIFICATION AND APPLICATION:
- Review and fully understand the Operating Agreement governing the Association of Ethical Tennis Coaches and Players.
- Agree to comply with business standards set in the Operating Agreement by the Association.
- You must be at least 18 years of age or older to be Certified as an Athlete. If under 18 years of age you must be Certified as a Minor Athlete
- Fully complete and submit an Application as either a Coach, Trainer, Academy or Guardian and submit to the Association for approval. Please be advised, that submission of an Application grants GTP’s Association the right to conduct a Level 1 background check.
- Await Association’s Review Board decision on your application. (Approximately 3-5 business days)
- Upon Application acceptance, subscribe to the Association to complete Certification.
- Initiate Engagement+ Contracts with other Certified Members.
- All Engagement+ Contracts can be converted to a contracting parties native language for a fee, however the English version will always prevail.
- Engagement+ Contracts are specific to each Certified Member but are universally standard within each Association. The only portions of the contract that alter is the negotiated amounts of deferred compensation between a Certified Coach, Trainer or Academy and an Athlete.
- An Athlete may not accrue more than $175,000 of total deferred compensation with Engagement+ Contracts.
- A Provider will be compensated on 15% of an Athletes tournament winnings (prior to taxes and withholdings) as well as with 10% of marketing endorsements (only those endorsements executed during the term of an Engagement+ Contract) for the services they have provided.
- An Engagement+ Contract is not protected under the Association until GTP approves each Contract and ensures it complies to all required standards.
- Once acknowledged, accepted and approved by GTP, a Certified Athlete and Certified Coach, Trainer or Academy may get to work.
- No Certified Athlete may have active Engagement+ Contracts with more than 1 Certified Coach at any time. No Certified Coach, Trainer or Academy may have active Engagement+ Contracts with more than 1 Certified Athlete at any time.
COACHES COLLECTIVE AND DEFERRED COMPENSATION:
- All deferred compensation accrued by an Athlete is added to their Collective (or total amount of deferred compensation owed to Coaches for services provided). GTP will hold all deferred compensation on behalf of the Certified Coaches to collect from the Certified Athlete.
- Held deferred compensation accrues a 4% interest rate per year until paid in full. (No prepayment penalties)
- An Athlete is required at the end of the previous month to make payments to GTP on 15% of any Tournament Winnings (prior to taxes and withholdings) and on 10% of any marketing or endorsement deal executed during the term of the contract to pay off any Collective they have accrued. For example, if an Athlete played in one Futures Tournament and earned $100, that Athlete is required to pay GTP 15% or $15 towards any outstanding Collective. Additionally, if an Athlete signed an endorsement deal for $200 per month with any company, Athlete is required to pay $30 towards any outstanding Collective.
- Providers will be paid on a pro-rata basis based on their percentage of contribution to the Collective. For example, if Coach A is owed $1000 and Coach B is owed $2000, then on a $15 payment by an Athlete, Coach A will receive 1/3 while Coach B will receive 2/3 of disbursements less the collection of 20% owed to GTP per the Association’s Operating Agreement.
- In the event an Athlete is unable to repay their deferred compensation and some Collective remains upon an Athlete’s retirement (2 consecutive calendar years of not having played at least 8 ATP/WTA/ITF tournaments), any outstanding deferred compensation is forgiven. This ensures that Providers are putting their best foot forward while simultaneously protecting their value in the event an Athlete achieves.
EXCLUSIVITY, DEFAULT, BREACHES AND TERMINATION:
- Engagement+ Contracts have zero form of exclusivity. Since a Coach, Trainer or Academy is guaranteed compensation for his or her services at fair market, exclusivity is no longer required.
- An Athlete may terminate a Contract without fear of tarnishing their reputation at any time with a Member. Should a Contract be terminated, a prorated amount for services performed will be added to an Athlete’s Collective.
- In the event a Member files a breach of contract or default, Global Tennis Professionals will serve as a non-biased third party to determine how much, if any Collective, is due.
- Fair market value for everyone involved!